Home About Community Corporate Blog Contact Us

What's the best book you've ever read? (doesn't have to be 'work-y')

if you can pass down only one book to close girlfriends, that has had an impact on your life - what would it be?

Oh, that’s such a hard question. The best book I’ve ever read also might not be the one I’d pass down to my closest girlfriends or the one that has had the biggest impact on my life. For instance, I love Harry Potter more than anything, but it’s not really something I’d pass along to my closest girlfriends - but only because everyone under the sun has heard of it. Anyways, instead of going off on a tangent and dodging the real question, I think this book had a very big impact on me when I read it during my freshman year of college:

Cat’s Eye by Margaret Atwood. It’s a book about identity. Elaine is in the present day, but the story is mostly told through flashbacks, focusing on the relationships that have impacted her the most. The parts of her childhood with frenemies, toxic friendships, and finding more of a connection with boys at that age, really stuck with me. I could remember feeling that way, especially during my preteens. The book is about her art and how all of these things have affected it. It’s honestly more of a psychological book than anything else, in my opinion. I’m not explaining this well at all but you should go read up on it; look at some quotes and see just how beautifully written it is.

Is it too cliche for me to say Bossypants? Disclaimer: I’m biased because I’m sort of in love with Tina Fey. That being said, she delivers some hard truths and some great advice for women in the workplace (and in general) with her trademark sense of humor.