Home About Community Corporate Blog Contact Us

This Is How Sexual Harassment Ruins Your Career

In a massive report released in 2016 on sexual harassment, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission found that the least common action after suffering harassment is to tell supervisors or union representatives. Most victims fear no one will believe them or that they’ll suffer consequences. Those fears are well founded given that about three-quarters of people who report experience retaliation.

“In a recent study, Heather McLaughlin, Amy Blackstone, and Christopher Uggen found that 80 percent of early-career women who experience unwanted touching or other kinds of harassment change jobs within two years. “We discovered that job change, industry change, and reduced work hours were common [as a response],” Blackstone said. In fact, victims are 6.5 times more likely to change jobs than those who aren’t harassed, even when accounting for other factors that prompt people to switch jobs, such as having a baby.

Harassment takes a deep, lasting mental and emotional toll on many victims.”

From The Forem:
It’s so critical we ensure someone else’s behavior doesn’t derail our career and mental health. If you are dealing with harassment - don’t go it alone. Talk to us and we’ll connect you with a HR Advocate who can help you navigate your HR dept. Additionally, I highly recommend you work with an experienced career coach who can help you strategize your exit and career options. Don’t let this stop you from achieving your goals.

And of course The Forem will continue to work w/ organizations to reach gender equality. This needs to be the end of harrassment and discrimination.

I agree that there are dire consequences if you are the victim of sexual abuse in the workplace. It cost me my job and when I told them what happened, they laughed. Very degrading.